A Different Kind of Love Song

Posted on by Napsterbater and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

OK, so what’s going on here? The first thing that jumps out is the superficiality of the guys she’s describing. They have nice cars whose A/Cs they run with the drop-top down. He might be a cocaine dealer, she doesn’t care, so long as he has the right kind of build.

The gym rats in the video and the ice sculptures are all meant to convey the same thing. Ice queen, the kind of girl who will slap you just for looking at her. She’s not interested in anybody mackin’ on her. If you have what she wants, she’ll find you.

Someone tell him who the eff she is. She’s Nicki Minaj. Nicki Minaj is a brand, a tool used by Onika Tanya Maraj to help her better connect with her fans.

Who are those fans? Certainly not the fellas. The butt implants, the rhinoplasty, the boob job, she didn’t get those for the guys. Her fans are female. The outlandishness of her plastic surgery looks on the surface like it’s supposed to appeal to guys, but it’s not.

She looks incredibly weird, and that’s the point. It’s not accidental. She’s peacocking. She speaks to an entire generation of women who think they look weird, who are insecure about their looks. She went in the totally opposite direction than she would have if she were trying to appeal to guys. It’s aspirational. You too can be an ice queen, see guys as vehicles for money and status, it doesn’t matter how you look, because narcissism attracts one and all.

I don’t want to have sex with her, I want to give her a hug. Tell her it’ll all be alright.

1. Lady Gaga’s “Judas”: Scandalizing Catholic Schoolgirls Everywhere
  2. How to become an instant heroine

About Napsterbater

You're not smarter than pop music.

7 Responses to A Different Kind of Love Song

1. max says:

100 Gagas to rule them all.

2. Wootah says:

I actually just appreciate keeping up to date with music through your posts. I don’t think this woman would have entered my conscious without your help. I thought the song was pretty good too. I doubt I could so effectively sum myself up as her.

• Napsterbater says:

Heh, thanks!

I got the idea for these from TLP. “You might not be interested in pop culture, but pop culture is interested in you.” I similarly appreciate seeing the posts on commercials and media events, as I don’t keep up with those. The currency these stars trade in, it’s endlessly interesting to me. I might end up doing it myself one day, I’m still young and good looking enough.

• meanruse says:

I took a different path to the same sentiment as Wootah – as soon as I saw the subject of this post I was compelled to thank you for often writing, a few weeks later, about particular songs that have stood out to me from the noisy sea of popular music I hear on the radio for reasons I didn’t bother to articulate myself. Surely you could pick the subjects somewhat randomly and come up with interesting analyses still, but this is not the first nor second time that I’ve been relieved to see a post from you about a song that has stuck annoyingly in my mind.

What struck me about this was how the singer seemed to be describing situations where she brazenly flirted with men using language that deemphasized their “masculinity” (he’s shy? in touch with his “feminine” side? I might think these are compliments but her tone sounded mocking to me) before bragging that she was able to get away with it due to who the eff she is. She then goes on to spend 3/4 of the recording gushing about how hot she is for his super bass, but I can’t tell if she’s admitting to the females that she was into his bass all along, or whether that’s just stage two of her flirting strategy.

I appreciate your patience for associating lyrics with music videos. How much of the message you describe in this example do you suspect is intentional (at any level of production)? I get hung up when analyzing these things on the disconnect between what I imagine the intent to be and what the actual effect is.

3. pageantry says:

Nicki Minaj is a freaky little sex-loompa who lets me take my life less seriously. Bless.

4. Rocket Surgeon says:

Minaj not only wholly lifted one of Lil’ Kim’s old videos, and did a bad impression of Slick Rick to boot, but she’s basically taken on Kim’s act. Of course Kim took her cues from a long line of women in music doing this type of proclamation of superficiality going back to at least Madonna. Madonna took her cues from Monroe, and Monroe was just doing a movie of a play Gentleman Prefer Blondes. We could probably go back further and look at other examples, including non-visual media, but we don’t have to because we don’t need to go back that far. The interesting thing to look at is how this idea has twisted it’s course through the years from a point of obtaining and accomplishment to an overall attitude of worship.
    A question I’m curious about: is there an easily accessible way for a woman to break into the top 40 and popularly express herself, and not be a cliche’?

5. Kayode says:

Everything you need to know is here