5+1 Sentences On The Walking Dead “18 Miles Out” s2e10

Posted on by TheLastPsychiatrist and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

“She has the right to make her own choice to live or die,” says one dummy about another who wants to suicide, but then how come the poor kid they drag 18 miles out to basically execute doesn’t get to decide if he lives or dies? “No, silly,” she and Rick and Shane and et al would say, “I meant I get to decide when you get to decide.” Ha!–careful, Superman, he who lives by the knife will die by the knife– your own, infected knife. But if it’s any consolation the two dead, biteless cop-walkers probably foreshadow that when you die, no matter how you die, you become a walker. Now suddenly killing people, or yourself, doesn’t seem like such a fundamental right.

And yet still they do not call them zombies.

1. 5+1 Sentences On The Walking Dead: “Triggerfinger” s2e9

7 Responses to 5+1 Sentences On The Walking Dead “18 Miles Out” s2e10

1. RatB says:

Yeah, they sure don’t teach germ theory in sheriff school.

2. Hypocrisy Illustrated says:

“Yeah, they sure don’t teach germ theory in sheriff school.”

Amen.

I’ve been having a real hard time taking the show seriously. I usually like science fiction or horror if they get the tone right the producers and the audience doesn’t take the gaps in logic too seriously.

But if the writers make rules that are rigidly adhered to, then it’s hard to take seriously if the rules themselves aren’t consistent. On the other hand if infection and mortality after a little bite were somehow less than certain, then I could better accept the vagaries of fortune that the writers inflict on their characters.

That one fool cut himself in the filth of battle to spill a little of his own blood as zombie bait… An open wound on a hand holding a dirty knife while showered in zombie juice… what an idiot, a very lucky idiot What about all that aerosolized zombie juice that they inhale?

What about that fellow who’s always reusing his arrows after he shoots the Zombies dead again with his crossbow. Didn’t he accidentally stab himself a couple of times with that?

These people are constantly being showered in zombie juice. How have they avoided infection so long? I wouldn’t want to risk exposure without a reinforced biohazard suit – and these folks risk covering themselves in zombie stink in order to blend in and not attract unwanted attention…

None of this makes anybody sick, but a zombie bite has an infection and fatality rate of 100%? Is rabies even this infectious?

It would make a much more interesting premise if the infected didn’t really die before being transformed into zombies, but became beserk aggressive humans with a infection caused insanity layered on top of their organism with a normal mammal metabolism. It would make the kind of defensive reaction and destructive impulse to meet the danger with sufficient decisive force more challenging because of the thought that some remaining person, humaniity or hope of cure is concealed behind the sickness. The complete dehumanization of the zombies makes their destruction too morally convenient.

I don’t know why I’m watching. Am I dumb, lazy, masochistic or what?

• operator says:

Am I dumb, lazy, masochistic or what?

Do you sit through the commercials and ignore the product placement, (gee whiz, some of those cars they drive manage to retain that just-waxed shine right up until trouble starts) or have you found some way around the commercialization of your attention?

Perhaps you’re just bored? … or you’d feel left out if you couldn’t join the discussion of the series?

… or..? (It’s a question worth asking, in any case – particularly if you sit through the commercials and non-consciously soak up the product placement)

3. RatB says:

Ok, so they don’t call them zombies because it’s not about zombies, it’s about people, as is tradition. Fine.

So what’s the purpose? We usually assume that, when producing media, people are trying to sell something along with the media. They’re selling cars, but that’s probably incidental to the main purpose.

What I can’t figure out about The Walking Dead is what kind of philosophy they’re trying to promote.

I’m an apocalypse junkie, and so are several of my friends. The writers sure aren’t selling what WE like to buy. Everyone I know who should like this show, myself included, likes the concept and atmosphere but hates all the characters. We blame this on the lack of action. Everyone’s spent the last season getting in petty fights and crying instead of thinking, planning and paying attention to they’re surroundings.

If you spend too much time arguing about what it all means and what’s right and wrong you’ll wind up dead and unhappy instead of just dead. Could that be the idea?

• operator says:

Either that (would a writer belabor such a point?) or zombie makeup costs money and special effects aren’t cheap:

Sources say last fall, even before the first episode of the show had aired, AMC let it be known that it would effectively slash the show’s second-season budget per episode by about $650,000, from $3.4 million to $2.75 million. AMC cut the budget and pocketed a tax credit previusly applied to the show. An AMC source says the size of the cut cited by sources is “grossly inflated” and that the second-season budget represents a more typical and sustainable number for a basic cable show.

Basic cable show – doesn’t sound like anything special, probably won’t be (despite the false-start with a bang).

4. Rocket Surgeon says:

It’s not the characters that make this show bad, it’s just plain bad all around. This episode in particular was full of so much stupidity I vowed to stop watching it after this seasons finish. I mean, Christ. You would think that there must be a huge sign in the writer’s room that basically says
    1. Worthless argument
    2. Person X arbitrarily decides on idiotic course of action
    3. Zombies!!!
    FFS, an 8 yr old could write better plotting.

So, why wait, you ask? Because I want to see if they can outdo the colossal fuck-up of last years season finale.

5. JohnJ says:

“I meant I get to decide when you get to decide.”

You mean that you get to decide what other people mean by their statements.

No, seriously, it is wrong to equate a statement of belief with a statement of authority. I can say that I believe something is a certain way, for example, maybe I say that Pluto is a planet despite all the astronomers who say that it’s not. I can assert my right to have my own beliefs about the universe without including within that assertion an implication that I believe I should have the authority to decide that for everyone else.

That implication is something you added. It’s not inherent within the statement itself.