John Hinckley’s Greatest Regret

Posted on by TheLastPsychiatrist and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

A doctor who testified for the government noted in his 80-page report that Hinckley regrets not being able to show or sell the paintings he does, most of them landscapes.
“I would like to be known as something other than the would-be assassin,” Hinckley said.
Another doctor reported that around the time Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in January 2011, Hinckley commented: “Wow. Is that how people see me?” Then he vented frustration about being unable to change the public’s perception.
“I don’t have a microphone in my hand. I don’t have the video camera. So no one can hear my music. No one can see my art. I have these other aspects of my life that no one knows about. I’m an artist. I’m a musician. Nobody knows that. They just see me as the guy who tried to kill Reagan,” he said.

I’m bigger than my actions, I’m more than what I’ve done, even if what I’ve done is of historical significance. If I could only get you to see me for what I want to be, you would love me, too.

There’s never any guilt.

You Might Also Like

1. Crazy? In Love?

6 Responses to John Hinckley’s Greatest Regret

1. Dan Dravot says:

I guess my own secret for not beong known as an assassin has been not to try to assassinate anbody. But YMMV obv.

2. operator says:

“Because you can’t handle the truth.”

3. JohnJ says:

How can he feel guilt when he’s the victim? He didn’t want this result, so how could he be responsible for it? Since things didn’t turn out the way he wanted, he can’t be responsible.

4. barrkel says:

Why is it important that he feels guilt? What good would that do?

• JohnJ says:

I believe “guilt” in this context refers to a sense of responsibility for what happened. It would be good for him to understand that he bears more than a little responsibility for his reputation. But he can’t feel that way because he believes that he’s not responsible for things not turning out the way he wanted. “I didn’t want to kill anybody” says the guy who walked into the bank with a gun.

There’s never any guilt when only our intentions are judged, which are always as white as the new fallen snow. We didn’t mean to do anything wrong. Therefore it must be someone else’s fault that things turned out this way. And those people must have bad intentions, because they got their way, and I didn’t get mine.

I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn’t been for you lousy kids.

5. HP says:

I’d like to be known as something other than a would-be artist. I don’t have a gun in my hand, I don’t have the knife, so nobody can see the bodies. I have these other parts of my life that nobody sees. I’m an assassin. A killer. Nobody knows that. They just see me as the guy who walks around with an acoustic guitar with him everywhere.